Tuesday 19 March 2013

These are my new favourite songs

There are so many new albums coming up that I can't wait to get my grubby little mitts on, it's insane. Also, please note, my hands aren't actually grubby - they are quite clean and well manicured today, thanks to Georgia and her awesome manicuring skills.


My first new favourite song is from Paramore. "Still Into You" is the second single from their upcoming self-titled album, and it's a corker. The album is the first they have recorded as a trio, since brothers (and two of the founding members) Josh and Zac Farro left the band in 2010. I saw the band live a few months before the split and it was painfully obvious that the Farros did NOT want to be there. While the three current band members were bursting with energy, Josh and Zac literally stood behind their instruments and did not move. It was still a great show, but I felt pretty bad for Hayley, Jeremy and Taylor, having to work with that kind of attitude. I really dig this song and have been listening to it on repeat for the last few days. It kind of has an eighties punk sort of feel, and makes me think of Siouxie and the Banshees and Blondie. Not because it sounds particularly like either of those bands, but more like Paramore were listening to them a lot when writing and recording, and little things have seeped in...Unfortunately, I can't embed the video directly on to the blog, but check it out on YouTube here.

City and Colour have a new album out soon, and one of the tracks "of space and time" is now up on Soundcloud here, for your listening pleasure. I will never get tired of Dallas Green's voice, it is just so beautiful. For those of you not familiar, City and Color is the solo side project of Green, who is also the singer for Alexis on Fire. If you're interested, I highly recommend checking out other songs, such as The Grand Optimist.




Last but not least, Laura Marling has a new album coming out in May. The first song to hit the interwebs is called Where Can I Go? and it is beautiful. It reminds of all the great female singers from around the 1970s - EmmyLou Harris, Linda Ronstadt and Rita Coolidge. Check it out on Soundcloud here. I love Laura Marling and could wax poetically about her all day long, she nails what so many others are trying to do and who always seem to fall slightly short of the mark they are aiming for. Go out and listen to everything Marling has done ever. Right now.






No comments:

Post a Comment