Tuesday 1 January 2013

Happy New Year! 2013, I think you're gonna be alright.

I know, right? Three posts in three days. Things are getting insane around here. Probably something to do with the fact that I've had time off work over the holiday season. And also, this is kind of an inspiring time of year and it's nice to get those ideas out of my brain and down onto paper. Or laptop keyboard. You know what I'm saying.

I'm not making resolutions this year, but I am going to put down a list of things that I would like to do and/or achieve. Am I splitting hairs semantically? Probably. I don't like the word resolutions though, it's so...resolute. These are more like my New Years Intentions. Much kinder, don't you think?

1. Learn how to do cats-eye eyeliner

I like to make my intentions achievable and fun. Otherwise I won't do them, and then I'll just beat myself up for not doing them, which defeats the whole purpose of the exercise in my opinion. Anyway, I'm not particularly adventurous or creative (or skilled, frankly) with my makeup and hopefully this will be my first step into getting out of the makeup rut. Plus, any excuse to watch tutorials on youtube. 

2. Keep up the writing momentum.

I like this one because it's a nod to everything I've achieved in this sphere so far this year, and also a commitment to keep it up. As well as the blog, I've got a couple of other projects ticking away, and it's so much fun working on them and seeing them grow and evolve.

3. Be active every day for 20 minutes.

It doesn't matter what it is - walking, stretching, swimming, pilates. Dancing around my living room like a spazz to The IT Crowd theme song (although I'll try not to hit myself in the face with my own flailing hand. That happened once. True story. There is a witness.) The point is just to be active. To remind my body that it is made for other things besides sitting at a desk, typing. I was thinking about doing some kind of 365 project, but I didn't really want to do the photography thing. I take photos on my phone all the time anyway, so I decided to do something that is more health focused.

4. Don't be afraid to get more personal, here at Four Letter Birds.

I'm a pretty private person by nature, and I'm hesitant to post too much about myself and my life here. Sometimes it's embarrassing (see above story about injuring myself while dancing.) However, I realised not long ago that all the bloggers I really enjoy reading include quite a lot about their personal lives. Not in an overly-detailed, TMI kind of way but just enough to be interesting and help you feel connected to them. 

5. Drink more coffee.

I know. This is probably the exact opposite of what a lot of other people are hoping to do in 2013. But I don't drink that much of it, because I prefer plunger coffee. Espresso is too strong, and instant is too gross. But I like it. I want to drink more. So I'm going to.

6. Go out dancing.

Again. I like dancing. I'm not particularly good at it, but I want to do it more. A good boogie solves so many problems.

I recently stumbled across Elise's blog, and she has picked a word for 2013 - brave. I'm not sure I will pick that word, because it is too close to courage, which is the current buzzword at Corporate HQ. But, I do like the idea of choosing a word to centre your intentions on for the coming year, so I'm going to think about it and see what I come up with.

Anyone else making lists today?

xo


No comments:

Post a Comment